Monday, March 29, 2010

Ricky Nolasco lowers spring ERA to 1.78

Marlins pitcher Ricky Nolasco retired the first 16 Astro batters he faced yesterday and only allowed one hit (a single) in 7 1/3 innings.

According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, however, Nolasco was "very upset" about allowing his first walk of the spring.

"You don't want to end a day like that -- ever,'' Nolasco said. "It's not acceptable."

"It's frustrating, especially being 0-2 to that guy. I don't care how many walks I have, or don't have. In that situation, it's the absolutely worst way to do it. He was completely overmatched there, and I didn't do my job and let him back in the count. That just can't happen.''

This spring, Nolasco is now 3-0 with an ERA of 1.78 and a K/BB ratio of 21.0.

"The biggest thing I learned as far as pitching is to throw strikes, not walk guys. It just makes your job a million times easier. It's something I've learned and thought about since maybe I was 12."

Despite a horrible start to 2009, Nolasco was 11-4 with an ERA of 3.82 since June. In those 141 1/3 innings, Nolasco struck out 158 batters.

With his strong spring performance, Nolasco is poised for a big season.

No comments:

Post a Comment