Sunday, February 26, 2012

Nationals, Zimmerman agree to six-year extension

The Washington Nationals and third baseman Ryan Zimmerman have agreed to a six-year contract extension, per ESPN's Buster Olney.

According to the report, the deal includes an option for the seventh year, which means that Zimmerman, who was under contract through 2013, could be a National through 2020 based on the new deal.

"All along, all I've wanted is to be able to stay with the Nationals, which I consider my hometown team, and help the franchise become a winner while also being compensated fairly," Zimmerman said in a statement Saturday. "I'm from Virginia, I was drafted by the Nationals and I've seen this organization make great progress since I signed here. I want to see it through to the ultimate goal of winning a World Series."

Zimmerman, who was the franchise's first draft pick in the post-Expos era, played in only 101 games and set six-year lows last year in runs scored (52), home runs (12) and runs batted in (49).

In our fantasy rankings, we have Zimmerman as the fifth-ranked third baseman.

No comments:

Post a Comment