Friday, May 8, 2009

Mariano Rivera gives up back-to-back homers

Yankees closer Mariano Rivera did something he has never done in his Major League career last night. And he surely hopes to never do it again.

Rivera gave up back-to-back homeruns to Tampa Bay Rays hitters Carl Crawford and Evan Longoria.

The Rays beat the Yankees 8-6 and the Yankees have their worst losing streak (five games) under manager Joe Girardi.

According to Girardi, Rivera, who had off-season shoulder surgery, has a "tired shoulder," which is affecting his velocity.
"I've been giving my best," Rivera said. "I haven't been 100% yet, but that's no excuse. I won't say that was the reason I lost the game. I felt great. The strength, it will be there. That's not my concern at all."

"No one's going to feel sorry for us," Girardi said. "It's our job to turn it around. ...Right now, we're in a little rut and we have to get out of it."
The Yankees are 13-15 and 5 1/2 games behind division-leading Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment