Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Hot Corner, 5/10 (AM) edition

The Yankees have called up reliever Brett Tomko and manager Joe Girardi "would not be afraid to use him in the late innings," according to the New York Post.

Per Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press, Miguel Cabrera is becoming more of a vocal leader this year than he was last year.

Phillies closer Brad Lidge hasn't had a save opportunity since April 25th. "Being two weeks since my last save opportunity, I've almost got to tell myself, 'It's a one-run lead. Pitch like it,' " Lidge said.

"He's one of those guys, when he comes in and says, 'I can't go,' you look for a bone sticking out," [Marlins manager Fredi] Gonzalez says of Jorge Cantu. "This guy likes to play the game. He's in there. On this team if you're thinking about not playing because you have a headache, you'd better check on Cantu."

Marlins pitcher Josh Johnson beat the Rockies 3-1 despite a being "terrible" in the bullpen before the game. "I probably threw 10 strikes out of 35 [pitches]. … My slider was OK. I went with my fastball and changeup. I just tried to throw fastballs down in the zone and get first-pitch strikes. I was 21 for 30 on first-pitch strikes. That's a big goal of mine, and no walks. It was a good day."

Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt hopes to avoid a career-worst eight-game streak without a win when he faces the San Diego Padres today.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen will decide pitcher Jose Contreras' fate after a bullpen session this morning. Guillen told Contreras: "'You're not supposed to be here right now. You were supposed to be here in July, August. Just take something positive out of the negative. You should still be in rehab.' Hopefully, his mind is clear. We'll see what happens."

Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston called the mechanics of Alex Rios "a mess."

No comments:

Post a Comment